Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Talking With Your Fingers

P1010007a
Typecast190
Beater Typer
Typecast191

Post-Script: The reference in that last paragraph to Kerouac's On The Road was unplanned, but perhaps inevitable, given the nearly identical method of composition. I've read On The Road numerous times, but never in the context of it being a work specifically wrought onto teletype paper via manual typewriter, in some manic act of marathon muttering. Perhaps a reread is warranted.

I find the smaller font size of the Silent Super to be ideal for this kind of writing, as it seems more like letter-writing, more personable, requiring an up-close read, an intimate squint into one's own soul.

Misspellings and typographic errors courtesy of the author.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Yep, I often feel it's much easier to talk on paper or some other keyboard than with voice. I also agree that Elite is the "personal" typeface. Much more intimate-feeling. There must be some reason that all 5 of my 1940's Royals are in Elite...

10:21 PM  
Blogger Blank said...

Another wonderful, insightful, cogent, flowing column, Joe. I love your blog. Thanks.

== Michael Höhne

5:49 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

I too find it easy to put my thoughts to paper with a typewriter. My scribbles are only readable immediately after I write them. Any later I forget what the scribbles mean. Printing is fine,but I'm lazy. A typewriter is faster.
I do need to read On the Road.;

Hope you are not in the storm's path. It looked centered on Albuquerque. A taste of Florida you probably do not want.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It certainly reads like you both took to each other. :)

5:15 AM  
Blogger michaeliany said...

wonderful sentiments here. I feel a lot of us share them. Real pleasant read. Thanks!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Walter said...

I too have a soft spot for the Silent Super. The action is like no other typer- quite springy-- which I sometimes like. I always enjoyed the book matched rally stripes on top. :-)

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home