Thursday, October 01, 2015

"Typing Like Your Life Depends on It"

DSCF1240a

What follows is a little bit of what might be called Typewriter Insurgency Fiction, a piece I drew up from inspiration following a recent extended typing session with my Brother/Webster XL-747. The setting and one of the characters is borrowed from my previous "Bill" series, which some long-time readers of this blog might remember. The setting of this piece, Loser's Blend, is loosely based on my favorite Albuquerque coffee shop, Winning Coffee. I also have a dystopian cyberpunk novel in the works (meaning several years of no progress) that uses this same Loser's Blend coffee shop, in a slightly futuristic setting.

Click each page to enlarge.
Page001

Page002

Page003

Page004

Post-Script: I think writing fiction on portable typewriters is a real hoot, something I need to do more of. As you might know, I've tried to keep my scanned images of typecasts as organic as possible, including paper texture, ink smears and any corrections left obvious, in an effort to make the online result as close to the realism of holding a typewritten sheet in-hand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

They can have my Brother when they can pull it out of my cold, dead hands, eh? :D

Nicely done! Are you readying for the Rhino this November?

6:44 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

I love this! Bradbury-worthy. And it doesn't take much extrapolation to get from our world to the world of your story.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home