Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Going, Going ... Gone?

P1090601a

Typecast024

P1090600a

Typecast025

P1090596a

Typecast026 (1) Guild Cinema link

Post-Script: I would encourage all those of you out there in the Typosphere who are blessed by the presence of local typewriter shops whose proprietors understand and appreciate the Insurgency to do your best to give them your business, and participate in any and all social gatherings there might be. You may not appreciate how blessed you are; while those of us out here in the hinterlands and badlands have to get by the best we can.

I'm still awaiting the resurgence of an underground VHS tape movement, but am not holding my breath. Although I've recently unearthed boxes of old tapes from storage, and am enjoying them in all their quaint technological glory.

I did the preliminary writing of this piece using the BAROP and typewriter outside in the cold air and warm sun of my front porch; double-spaced, the rough draft was about six feet long - not quite worthy of Kerouac, but I gave it my best. My wife commented "What are your writing, War and Peace?"

Photos via Lumix G5 and Vivitar 24mm lens in Minolta MD mount; typecast via Smith-Corona Silent.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Janet said...

This makes me feel much better about having no interest whatsoever in learning how to repair or clean my typewriters. Sometimes all the DIY I read about makes me feel a little guilty, but I am not machine savvy or even machine curious. All my typers go straight to Cambridge Typewriter.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

There are two here in the greater Phoenix Metro area, the new guy has just discovered the Insurgency, and is greatly enthused. He reports booming business in repairs this year, which coincides with his starting a website and placing plenty of Craigslist ads. This would appear to be a key factor for success.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

FINALLY! You got rid of that faulty captcha, I can comment on your blog again! :D

10:13 AM  
Blogger Richard P said...

You make a lot of very good points here.

I had never even heard of Brown & Smith. If they'd been Internet-savvy they could have asked me to list them on my repair shops page, and it could have made a difference. But is there enough of an insurgency in Albuquerque to sustain two typewriter shops? In a place like Boston or Portland this is a viable business, but not in every American city.

John Lewis has focused, I believe, on the antique typewriter collector community (which he serves very well) rather than on the young enthusiasts.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home