Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Words, Pictures and Symbols


I've had a fascination for a while with letters and words appearing in photographs. As if the literal meaning of systems of writing could suddenly be apprehended and reappropriated as graphical imagery, taking on new meanings.

I have this same sense when doing typecasting, where written words become agglomerations of pixels within JPEG images; as if the writing is no longer actual writing, but some visual simulation thereof.

And but so, as I was editing a series of photos I captured yesterday, it suddenly struck me that all the images which I favored incorporate letters, written symbols or otherwise writing within them. Part of this has to do with the nature of the urban sprawl around UNM where I was on the prowl for imagery; but I think there's something else at work here, my mind seeming to be unconsciously attracted to writing in a visual dynamic that I don't really understand. Perhaps it operates on the same level as mere pictorial cliche, like another sunset among countless sunset images; I do know there are subtle but evident puns in the juxtaposition of letters within these images, so maybe I'm just lurking for simple puns.

But anyways, enjoy these images. All were captured on my Lumix G1, 20mm-F/1.7 lens, shot in RAW and developed in SilkyPix.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. The peace center, james dean pointing, the dumpster, good fun.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home